The difficulties I have in writing are lack of vocabulary, misuse of grammar in expressions and limited sentence structure. I find it difficult to find the appropriate word to express my ideas precisely and accurately. This is also due to a lack of vocabulary. Apart from that, I am not good at using various sentence structures in supporting my arguments. When I read my friends’ essays, I find their ideas flow more smoothly, with the help of various sentence structures, precise use of words and correct grammar. I notice that I do not lack main points in writing an essay, but smoothly explaining and supporting my own points is a challenge.
One of the causes is the lack of reading. I will find some good books to read during the summer holiday. Reading will help me improve language skills in many ways. Apart from enriching my knowledge, it helps me observe the ways the author organizes and supports his arguments. Reading a good book not only broadens my horizon, it also expands the range of my vocabulary and aids me in developing my writing skills.
Moreover, continuously engaging myself in academic writing is another solution to my difficulties in writing. Academic writing helps me think critically about the happenings around me. It helps me be a critical and observant thinker. Additionally, more practices in writing gives me confidence in my English, which also helps me in other academic aspects, such as in speaking.
Reading and writing helps me support and explain my ideas more persuasively. It also helps me express my arguments with precise and strong vocabulary. With a good knowledge of vocabulary, grammar and various sentence structure, I will not only write reasonable essays but also be more eloquent in speeches.
Hi Yizhou, great to see that you are keen to improve yourself!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, in your second paragraph, you wrote this sentence, "Finding a good book to read not only enlarges my horizon, but also enlarges my vocabulary and helps me develop my writing skills." Let me offer an alternative which I hope is better - Reading a good book not only broadens my horizon, it also expands my range of vocabulary and aids me in developing my writing skills. How's that? Does it sound slightly better?
In your third paragraph, you wrote, "Moreover, continuously engaging myself in academic writing is another resolution to overcome my difficulties in writing." I think there is an error in the use of "resolution". The root word of resolution is resolve, and resolve is usually used for disputes. For e.g., to resolve a dispute, the resolution of the dispute. Perhaps a better word would be "solution", so it will look like this, "Moreover, continuously engaging myself in academic writing is another solution to my difficulties in writing." Solution to your difficulties, not solution to overcome your difficulties. It should be referring to a noun instead of a verb.
thanks Chongren! It sounds way better!
ReplyDelete